Monday, September 20, 2010

HULK SMASH New York City not as Cool as HULK SMASH A PLANET :Pappy's Review of World War Hulk!

@UnclePappyWolf Reviews World War Hulk the Trade Paperback!

Now, Pappy loved PLANET HULK and I couldn't wait to read World War Hulk. I dived right in and loved the first 3rd of the book. Hulk Smash, Black Bolt, Iron Man, Fantastic Four, Dr. Strange, Thunderbolt Ross and his army and later takes on the Sentry. Those I love it when the Hulk is unleashed. But Unlike Planet Hulk, World War Hulk takes you through the story rather quickly without a lot of the emotion that you get from its Planet Predecessor. I felt for the back stories of the Warbound members. It made their characters real and not flat or cardboard. As for World War Hulk I felt all of the characters that have rich and a long sorted history with the Hulk were barely even mentioned. The Hulk and Thing have fought before not even a peep of past conflicts. Thunderbolt Ross does mention Betty's passing but no real context for how that is motivating his actions. Dr. Strange came the closest to understanding the Hulk's Mind but no real conection was made in that crucial moment about how Bruce felt about lossing the Hulks wife. Was He in love with Caiera as well? Did Banner share the Hulk's rage for being tricked and sent out into space?

This book missed a lot of good story arch opportunities and I felt it did so all the way through the story even up until the end.
But before I get to the end let me just share few plot points that I thought were kind of unrealistic or annoying. First off...the Warbound where highly underused. Here, with all these superheroes, was perfect opportunity to do something that not even Planet Hulk did much of and that is see how the Warbound stack up against the Marvel Universe and expand on their abilities.
How would Korg have stacked up against the Thing is he stronger? Or ARCH-E against Stark technologies, is he just as savvy or is Stark's toys even better? What would a duel between Dr. Strange and and Hiroim be like? And Miek...Don't even let me get started on Miek (SPOILER TO FOLLOW) There is NO WAY I believe Miek was responsible for siding with the Red King and blowing up Sakaar! Then Hulk and No-Name kill him? So stupid!!

It wasn't all bad. Like I said before I loved the SMASHING, and the first 3rd to 1/2 was pretty descent but the ending was really a tad unbelievable and anticlimactic. Tony's places him in a coma without any explanation as to how that satellite works. I mean....He just survived fighting the Sentry and the Sorcerer Supreme but a ray takes him out?
The fight between the Sentry and the Hulk was a wonderful visual drawing and over all I did enjoy the artwork in this book but felt that Planet Hulk still had a much better look and story to it than this did.
SO.. Pappy Gives World War Hulk... 3.55 Paws out of 5!

If you read World War Hulks Let us know what you thought!

No comments: