Thursday, September 9, 2010

A first Look at Captain America's Costume ...well Sort of!

New Pics of Captain America <--Click here for the article and Pics

We got our 1st look at Captain America's stunt Costume for the up & coming Captain America film! Yes, ....ultra technical nerd internet person I know it's just a stunt costume from the film but I'm still not at all impressed. Now when I was at Comic Con and Marvel was unveiling their Avenger Line up and some kid was getting stabbed in the eye, I remember thinking then how unimpressed I was that Chris Evans was playing the role Captain America. Not the kind of Pissed off Unimpressed or the "What do you mean Norton's Out Kevin Feige" kind of unimpressed, But it is a close 3rd or 4th from there (Kevin is the man in charge over at Marvel Films).

Even during the Q & A I never got the sense that Chris could pull off the Flag Wearing Super Solider from an era long gone. Now I have seen most of the films Chris has been in and though he does a decent job of playing the sarcastic foil, I don't see how his brand of acting translates to playing the Cap. Now don't get me wrong, I don't entirely dislike Chris Evans or anything. But Come on... do you really think he has the acting chops to chew up the screen with Robert Downey Jr. the way Capt. Does when he goes toe to toe with ole Tony Stark? NO WAY. At least not early in his career.

Now Marvel, if you're trying to save a buck, cuz you can't afford anymore actors in your Budget, (I Feel a Cheeeapskates sneeze coming on), that doesn't mean you have to skimp on quality. Jeremy Renner has shown he can pull of his acting chops with that little oscar nomination thing but you (in your infinte wisdom) cast him as a level above an extra in the Avengers flick. You've pretty much relegated him to playing a character that no mainstream audience even knows exists. He would've been a strong choice to play the Captian and if he was willing to be Hawkeye (the comic charcter not the MASH character) I'm pretty sure he would've taken the job. But still not convinced Marvel. Still want to go cheap ? How about up and coming movie actor who's a looker with the lady folk? how about Wentworth Miller of the TV Show Prison Break? I saw him on the Resident Evil Panel and let me tell you he has a bit of a fan base in the geek world as well as pulling that all elusive female action film money. Not to mention that if he's willing to doing Resident Evil 4, it's a safe bet he's not demanding Terrance Howard money.

No, instead you pick a guy who, now, ever time I see him raise that Shield I expect him to shout ..."FLAME ON" and say something sarcastic and jump off a building. Not just were these other actors overlooked in the Avenger lineup, rumor has it Jon Favreau was overlooked to direct the Avengers pic because Kevin Feige at Marvel thought Jon might ask for more money. I wonder who's getting all this saved money...Is it you Kevin? You mean to tell me the Mouse over at Disney is looking to save a few bucks because things have been rough at the Magic Kingdom now that they own the whole of Marvel. I don't think so. I think Kevin has a bit of a control issue. That would be my guess. Only time will tell. I SO HOPE I'm wrong here.. I never want any of these films to do bad but as for now my money is on Thor and I'll wait a bit to see if Chris Evans proves me wrong. See that Chris I am routing for you.

Even though at this moment Captain America doesn't look all that promising there is one exception. At this moment, the strongest redeeming hope I have for the movie Cap. is that they got the perfect guy to play the Red Skull. I saw a 7 minute scene from the movie Captain America and let me tell you Hugo Weaving is the perfect choice to play the Iconic baddie. He was great and wonderful to watch. So let's hope his villain does what the Joker did for the Dark Knight Film. All will be revealed by 2012.

The NerdHooligan,
UnclePappyWolf

References
http://blastr.com/2010/09/first-real-look-at-captai.php

No comments: